Source: Philippine Information Agency (Manila)
Commenting on the recently-announced list of 2013 public holidays in the Philippines, deputy presidential spokesperson, Abigail Valte, has explained why Chinese New Year was not listed as a public holiday for 2013.
Last week (01-Sep-2012), the government of the Philippines gazetted Proclamation No. 459, s. 2012, which listed the special and regular non-working public holidays in the Philippines for the calendar year 2013, but which did not include a public holiday for Chinese New Year, despite House Bill 1072, which passed last month (02-Aug-2012).
According to deputy presidential spokesperson Valte: "There is no need to declare the Chinese New Year for 2013 a holiday or nonworking day because it will fall on a Sunday".
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Philippines bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (September 2012)
Philippines 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Philippines 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Philippines 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Philippines 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Philippines 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2016-01-31: Philippines Public Holiday February 8
• 2014-01-31: Philippines CNY Annual Public Holiday Bill
• 2012-12-27: Philippines CNY Public Holiday Status Change
• 2012-09-01: Philippines 2013 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-08-02: Philippines CNY Public Holiday Voted