Source: South African Press Association (Pretoria)
South Africa's Commission for the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Cultural, Religious and Linguistic Communities has announced that it had been tasked with another review of the list of official public holidays in South Africa, with a view to reducing the number of Christian public holidays.
Almost a decade ago (06-Nov-2003), then South African Minister of Home Affairs and President of the Inkatha Freedom Party, Mangosuthu Buthelezi, had been mandated by the South African Cabinet to chair an inter-departmental task team to review the South African official public holidays calendar. At that time, the departments forming the task team are Labour, Finance, Education and Environmental Affairs and Tourism.
Nothing ever came out of that consultation, and the "Public Holidays Act 36 of 1994", revised in 1995, stands unchanged to this day.
But, since then, the issue of declaring public holidays for other religions (30-Mar-2007) or ethnic groups (22-Nov-2009) resurfaces regularly.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• South Africa bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (June 2012)
South Africa 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
South Africa 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
South Africa 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
South Africa 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
South Africa 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2018-01-14: South African 2019 Public Holidays Announced
• 2017-01-15: South African 2018 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-01-12: South African 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-01-05: South African 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-02-13: South African 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2013-04-29: South African Public Holidays Review Complete
• 2013-02-06: South African 2014 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-07-09: South African Public Holidays Review Update
• 2009-11-22: South Africa Petitioned For Arrival Day Public Holiday
• 2007-03-30: South Africa Contemplating New Hindu Jewish And Muslim Public Holidays
• 2003-11-06: South Africa To Review Official Public Holidays