Source: Presidencia de la República de Panamá (Panama City)
The government of Panama, through its Secretaría de Prensa de Estado, has announced that once again the upcoming, Labour Day, non-working public holiday, had been moved, this year from Wednesday, May 1st, 2013, to Monday, April 29, 2013.
As per the aforementioned Decreto Ejecutivo No. 233 de 18 de abril de 2013, signed by Panamanian President Ricardo Martinelli and the Panamanian Minister of the Interior Jorge Ricardo Fábrega, the declaration of Monday, April 29, 2013, as a non-working public holiday throughout Panama ("ordenó el cierre de las oficinas públicas y privadas a nivel nacional"), was made to create a long weekend and thus stimulate internal tourism ("para que... se favorezca el desarrollo del turismo interno a nivel nacional y la convivencia familiar").
The government decision is based on Bill 351 which became the Ley 70 de 28 de diciembre de 2007 (30-Dec-2007, 29-Nov-2007, and 22-Nov-2007) and aims to restore bridge holidays (días puente) by moving the January 9 and November 28 annual non-working public holidays to the nearest Monday, if their set fixed date falls in the middle of the week, and giving the government discretionary power to do the same for other annual non-working public holidays ("potestad del Ejecutivo decretar días puentes sobre las fechas de fiesta o duelo").
However, until last year (27-Apr-2012), when the government of Panama moved the Labour Day, non-working public holiday to Monday, April 30, 2012, the May 1st, Labour Day public holiday (Día del Trabajador), had never before been moved. In 2008, the idea was ruled-out outright (19-Apr-2008) and in 2009, after some hesitation (21-Apr-2009), Panama's President, Martín Torrijos, decided not to move the May 1st public holiday (24-Apr-2009).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Panama bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (April 2013)
Panama 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Panama 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Panama 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Panama 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Panama 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2018-04-24: Panama April 30 Public Holiday Ruled-Out
• 2016-03-31: Panama May Day Public Holiday May 2nd
• 2015-04-27: Panama May 4 Public Holiday Ruled-Out
• 2014-04-29: Panama May 5 Public Holiday Ruled-Out
• 2014-03-12: Panama Mulls May Day Public Holiday Move
• 2012-04-27: Panama Public Holiday Moved To April 30
• 2009-04-24: Panama Drops May Day Bridge Public Holiday
• 2009-04-21: Panama Considering Moving Labour Day Public Holiday
• 2008-04-19: South Africa Extends 2010 Winter School Holidays To 5 Weeks
• 2007-12-30: Panama's President Signs Long Weekends Public Holidays Bill Into Law
• 2007-11-29: Panama Bridge Public Holidays Reform Law Passed
• 2007-11-22: Panama Vote On Bridge Public Holidays Reform Postponed Until Monday