Source: O Globo (São Paulo)
Brazil's parliamentary culture commission has approved the Projeto de Lei 296/15 which would convert the November 20, Dia Nacional da Consciência Negra, into a full-fledged annual non-working public holiday in Brazil.
The "Dia Nacional de Zumbi e da Consciência Negra", was made a national commemoration by the "nº 10.639, de janeiro de 2003", but leaves it up to each municipality and state to decide whether to declare it as a non-working public holiday. Currently, November 20, is already a non-working public holiday in around 300 of the main cities of Brazil, including São Paulo (SP), Rio de Janeiro (RJ), Campinas (SP), Marabá (PA) and Vilhena (RO), and has been on the legislative roster many times over the years (29-Jul-2007, 05-Sep-2008, 16-Nov-2008, 24-Nov-2008, 02-Dec-2008, 28-Jan-2009).
In his last year in office (22-Nov-2009), Brazil's president, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, had promised that beginning in 2010, November 20th, Dia da Consciência Negra, would be a full-fledged national public holiday. But, nothing came of it.
A year later, Brazil's President, Dilma Rousseff, signed into law the watered-down bill making November 20 a new annual national holiday in Brazil, commemorating the "Dia Nacional de Zumbi e da Consciência Negra". The aforementioned bill (Lei 12.519) had been put on the Senate's Social Affairs Committee (BAC) roster last fall (14-Sep-2010), approved in commission last spring (24-Mar-2011), and approved by the full Brazilian Senate last month (21-Oct-2011).
The aforementioned bill now moves to the Comissão de Constituição e Justiça e de Cidadania for consideration, where it is likely to die quietly as has been the case for many similar bills in the past.
• Brazil bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (July 2015)
Brazil 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Brazil 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Brazil 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Brazil 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Brazil 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-12-12: Brazil Black Consciousness Day Public Holiday Update
• 2011-10-21: Brazilian Senate Approves November 20 Public Holiday
• 2011-03-24: Brazilian November 20 Public Holiday Update
• 2010-09-14: Brazilian Bill To Declare November 20 Public Holiday
• 2009-11-22: Brazilian President Promises November 20 Public Holiday In 2010
• 2009-01-28: Brazil's November 20 State Public Holiday Also Declared Void
• 2008-12-02: Brazil Sends November 20 Public Holiday Bill To The Senate
• 2008-11-24: Brazil's President Favors November 20 Public Holiday
• 2008-11-16: Brazil's November 20 A Public Holiday In Over 700 Cities
• 2008-09-05: Brazil Considering Making November 20 A National Public Holiday
• 2007-07-29: Brazil To Vote On November 20 Public Holiday