Source: Press Release Government Of Timor-Leste (Dili)
The government of Timor Leste has announced that it had once again decided to declare an additional day-off public sector holiday in Timor Leste on Thursday August 20, 2015, for the "celebrations of the 40th Anniversary of the Armed Forces of National Liberation of Timor-Leste" (FALINTIL).
As per the aforementioned announcement, this one-off public sector holiday in Timor Leste on Thursday August 20, 2015, is granted to mark "the 40th anniversary of FALINTIL - Forces representing the armed front of the struggle for liberation and whose history is celebrated through a program that will have its highest point on August 20".
Five years ago (18-Aug-2010), the government of Timor Leste had declared Friday, August 20, 2010, the date of the 35th anniversary of the Armed Forces for the National Liberation of Timor-Leste (FALINTIL) as a one-off public holiday, and since then it has declared August 20 a one-off non-working public holiday in East Timor almost every year (13-Aug-2014 and 16-Aug-2013).
According to the Secretariat of State of the Council of Ministers of Timor Leste, this decision is based on law No.10/2005, which overhauled Timor Leste's public holidays (12-Aug-2005) and is in addition to the list of official public holidays in Timor Leste for the calendar year 2015, which was announced at the beginning of this year (27-Feb-2015).
August 20, the Day of the Armed Forces for the National Liberation of Timor-Leste (FALINTIL) is already included in subparagraph 5.1of the 2005 law No.10/2005 but, technically, all the dates listed in Article 5 are labeled as "Official Commemorative Dates" and the aforementioned public holidays bill clearly specifies that these are not annual non-working public holidays ("The dates provided for in subarticle 5.1 and 5.2 are not considered holidays").
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• East Timor bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (August 2015)
East Timor 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
East Timor 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
East Timor 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
East Timor 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
East Timor 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2019-02-08: Timor Leste 2019 Public Holidays Announced
• 2018-01-09: Timor Leste 2018 Public Holidays Announced
• 2017-01-18: Timor Leste 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-01-29: Timor Leste 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-02-27: Timor Leste 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-08-13: Timor Leste Public Holidays August 15 and 20
• 2013-08-16: Timor Leste Public Holiday August 20
• 2010-08-18: East Timor Declares FALINTIL Public Holiday
• 2005-08-12: East Timor Overhaul Official List Of Public Holidays