Source: Hamburger Abendblatt (Hamburg)
The CDU Group of Germany's Hamburg State has submitted a motion to the Bürgerschaftskanzlei to have Reformation Day of October 31st, declared a new annual public holiday in Germany's Hamburg State.
Recall that, 5 years ago (13-Dec-2012), the Mayor of Hamburg, Olaf Scholz, had announced that October 31, 2017, would be a one-off non-working public holiday throughout Hamburg, the first German State to do so, and following a few of years of piecemeal declaration of October 31, 2017, as a one-off public holiday, by each German Land (08-Oct-2015, 16-Sep-2014, 12-Dec-2013, 13-Aug-2013, 04-Jun-2013, 17-May-2013, 15-May-2013, 01-May-2013, 14-Mar-2013, 08-Mar-2013, 25-Jan-2013, 10-Jan-2013), the list of 2017 bank holidays in Germany (04-Sep-2016), included a one-off national public holiday for Reformation Day, on October 31, 2017.
Then, at the beginning of the current year (25-Jan-2017), the Minister of Economics (Ministerpräsident) of Germany's state of Schleswig-Holstein, Reinhard Meyer, had similarly announced that he was in favour of adding Reformation Day as a new annual non-working public holiday in the German state of Schleswig-Holstein.
Since then, the German State of Bremen has been moving towards the declaration of October 31st as a new annual non-working public holiday in the German State of Bremen (27-Mar-2017 and 18-Feb-2017), as its 2 major parties, the CDU and SPD, are in advanced discussions on the matter, and the majority of the SPD voted in favor of the motion at its last regional party convention, a position also supported by their Green coalition partner.
Most recently (23-Sep-2017), Lower Saxony's Prime Minister, Stephan Weil (SPD), announced that he would support the declaration of Reformation Day as an annual non-working public holiday in the German State of Lower Saxony, if he wins the upcoming, October 15, regional public holidays.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Germany bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (September 2017)
Germany 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Germany 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Germany 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Germany 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Germany 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2018-02-15: Germany Hamburg State Public Holiday Extension Vote Update
• 2018-01-29: Germany Hamburg State Public Holiday Extension Spring Vote
• 2017-09-23: Germany Mulls Reformation Public Holiday Extension In Hamburg State
• 2017-03-27: Germany Bremen Public Holidays Extension Update
• 2017-02-18: Germany Mulls Reformation Public Holiday Bremen Extension
• 2017-01-25: Germany Mulls Schleswig-Holstein Public Holiday Extension
• 2016-09-04: Germany 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-10-08: Germany 2017 BE Reformation Public Holiday
• 2014-09-16: Germany 2017 BW Reformation Public Holiday Update
• 2013-12-12: Germany 2017 Bavarian Reformation Public Holiday
• 2013-08-13: Germany 2017 NRW Reformation Public Holiday Update
• 2013-06-04: Germany 2017 Reformation Public Holiday In Saarland
• 2013-05-17: Germany 2017 Reformation Public Holiday In Niedersachsen
• 2013-05-15: Germany 2017 Reformation Public Holiday In Bremen State
• 2013-05-01: Germany 2017 HH Reformation Public Holiday
• 2013-03-14: Germany 2017 Reformation Public Holiday In Rheinland-Pfalz
• 2013-03-08: Germany 2017 BW Reformation Public Holiday Update
• 2013-01-25: Germany 2017 BW Reformation Public Holiday
• 2013-01-10: Germany 2017 Reformation Public Holiday In Hessen
• 2012-12-13: Germany 2017 Reformation Public Holiday Extended