Source: Presidencia de la República del Paraguay (Asunción)
The Paraguayan Presidency has released a communique reminding the population that, as per Decree No. 6292 of November 17, 2016, the upcoming Día de la victoria de Boquerón Paraguayan annual non-working public holiday would be moved from September 29, to Monday, October 2, 2017.
The aforementioned announcement that the upcoming Día de la victoria de Boquerón Paraguayan annual non-working public holiday would be moved from September 29, to Monday, October 2, 2017, was issued, as were the 3 previous ones (02-Aug-2017, 05-Jul-2017 and 24-Mar-2017), in the context of the major changes to Paraguay public holidays of a few years ago (03-Jan-2013 and 03-Aug-2012), when Paraguay's president, Federico Franco, issued an executive decree agreeing to the proposal by Paraguay's Senatur, to avail himself of the powers given to the presidency a decade ago, and move some of the 2013 mid-week public holidays to a nearby Monday, and in line with the announced (22-Nov-2016) and then amended list of 2017 public holidays in Paraguay (28-Nov-2016).
The Decreto presidencial N° 9393 finally implemented the Ley 1723 del 29 de junio de 2001 (Que Autoriza Al Poder Ejecutivo A Trasladar Los Feriados Nacionales Al Dia Lunes) which had given the president of Paraguay the authority to move any, or all, mid-week public holidays to a nearby Monday (except New Year, Independence Day, día de La Virgen de Caacupé, and Maundy Thursday and Good Friday).
Despite its passage 15 years ago (29-Jun-2001), and regular calls for the executive to avail itself of its prerogative (23-Sep-2010 and 26-Jul-2008), the provisions of law 1723/01 have rarely been used. However, 5 years ago (24-Jul-2012), a renewed call to action by Paraguay's Secretaría Nacional de Turismo (Senatur), Liz Crámer, seems to have finally prodded the executive into action, although, as today's announcement shows, the process is not systematic.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Paraguay bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (September 2017)
Paraguay 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Paraguay 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Paraguay 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Paraguay 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Paraguay 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-08-02: Paraguay August 15 Public Holiday Re-Confirmed
• 2017-07-05: Paraguay August 15 Public Holiday Maintained
• 2017-03-24: Paraguay Senate Votes Public Holidays Legislation Amendments
• 2016-11-28: Paraguay 2017 Public Holidays Amended
• 2016-11-22: Paraguay 2017 Public Holidays Released
• 2013-01-03: Paraguay 2013 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-08-03: Paraguay 2013 Public Holidays Amended
• 2012-07-24: Paraguay Mid-Week Public Holidays Update
• 2010-09-23: Paraguay Legislature Wants To Move Mid-Week Public Holidays
• 2008-07-26: Paraguay Pressured To Apply 2001 Law On Mid-Week Public Holidays
• 2001-06-29: Paraguay Law To Move Mid-Week Public Holidays