Source: Bernama News Agency (Alor Setar)
The caretaker Menteri Besar of the Malaysian State of Kedah, Ahmad Bashah Md Hanipah, who is also the BN Chairman for Kedah, has announced that Thaipusam would be made an annual non-working public holiday in Kedah if the BN party retains the state with a two-thirds majority in the 14th general election on May 9.
A decade ago (20-Jan-2008), Malaysia's Government had declared Thaipusam as a new annual state public holiday in the federal territories of Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya, from 2008 onward, and, currently only the states and federal territories of Kuala Lumpur, Johor, Negeri Sembilan, Perak, Penang and Selangor observe a public holiday for Thaipusam, on a regular annual basis (11-Aug-2014 and 13-Jul-2013).
In the state of Kedah, although not an annual public holiday, Thaipusam was on occasion declared a non-working public holiday, or "occasional state holiday" (06-Jan-2016, 14-Jan-2015 and 13-Jan-2014).
Almost a decade ago (20-Jan-2011), under similar circumstances, Malaysia's Prime Minister, Najib Tun Razak, had announced that he would ensure that Thaipusam became a public holiday in Kedah State, if his Barisan Nasional (BN) party were to win the upcoming state elections, and the year after (15-Jul-2013), the declaration of a new state non-working public holiday for Thaipusam was discussed at the weekly meeting of the state executive council on Wednesday, July 17, 2013.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Malaysia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (May 2018)
Malaysia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Malaysia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Malaysia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Malaysia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Malaysia 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2016-01-06: Malaysian 2016 Thaipusam Public Holiday Extended
• 2015-01-14: Malaysia 2015 Thaipusam Public Holiday Extended
• 2014-08-11: Malaysian 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-01-13: Malaysia 2014 Thaipusam Public Holiday Extended
• 2013-07-15: Malaysia Could Extend Thaipusam Public Holiday
• 2013-07-13: Malaysian 2014 Public Holidays Announced
• 2011-01-20: Malaysia Could Extend Thaipusam Public Holiday
• 2008-01-20: Malaysia Adds Thaipusam To State Public Holidays Of Kuala Lumpur And Putrajaya