Source: Antara News Agency
Indonesia's State Secretary, Djohan Effendi, announced that Indonesia's President, Abdurrahman Wahid, had agreed to declare Chinese New Year (locally know as Imlek) to become a public holiday for the ethnic Chinese in Indonesia.
The decision is codified by release Decision Letter No13/2001 of Indonesia's Minister of Religious affairs.
In recent years, many have suggested making Chinese New Year a national public holiday, such as the Chairman of the People's Consultative Assembly (MPR), Amien Rais, and the Minister of Religious Affairs, Tolchah Hasan.
• Indonesia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (January 2001)
Indonesia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Indonesia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Indonesia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Indonesia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Indonesia 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2014-10-21: Indonesian Deepavali Public Holiday Tomorrow
• 2013-02-10: Indonesian CNY Public Holiday Imbroglio
• 2002-04-11: Indonesia Makes Chinese New Year An Official Public Holiday
• 2002-02-18: Indonesia Promises Imlek Official Public Holiday Next Year
• 2001-12-21: Indonesia Chinese New Year Public Holiday Update