Source: Australian Associated Press
The Council for the Australian Federation (CAF) has finally announced the long-awaited agreement to harmonize the treatment of the ANZAC Day public holiday, across all Australian states and territories, when ANZAC Day falls on a Sunday.
Currently, the Australian states of Tasmania and Victoria do not give any day in lieu when the ANZAC public holiday falls on a Sunday. However, the Premier of Victoria State, John Brumby, has already officially announced that Victoria State would follow the CAF agreement (07-Oct-2008). Tasmania, for its part, is officially still in consultations with business leaders but is expected to eventually also go along with the agreement.
Under the terms of the CAF agreement, effective in 2010, when ANZAC Day falls on a Sunday, all Australian states and territories will observe a day in lieu public holiday on the following working day.
Most of the time, the next working day will be Monday, April 26, but in 2011 and 2038, due to the late occurrence of Easter, the ANZAC Day public holiday day in lieu will be given on the following Tuesday (April 26, in 2011, and April 27, in 2038).
The CAF agreement does not, however, address the issue of harmonizing what happens when ANZAC Day falls on a Saturday, as it does in 2009, and which has led to strong reactions from unions (08-Jan-2009 and 16-Dec-2008). Currently, a Monday day in lieu is given when the ANZAC Day public holiday falls on a Saturday, only in the ACT and Western Australia (and the Western Australia dependencies of Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands).
The agreement also leaves unanswered the question of what happens in the Australian state of Tasmania when the ANZAC Day public holiday moves to the next Tuesday due to Easter being late, as Easter Tuesday is already a public holiday in Tasmania. The terms of the CAF agreement would seem to imply, in such cases, that the Wednesday following ANZAC Day would become an additional public holiday. However, as we reported last year (03-Oct-2008), the business community of Tasmania is already resisting the addition of one public holiday, and are likely to resist even more the extending the Easter break from Saturday to Wednesday in 2011 (and 2038).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Australia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (January 2009)
Australia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Australia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Australia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2018-04-22: Western Australia 2020 Public Holidays Completed
• 2018-01-03: Western Australia 2020 Public Holidays Released
• 2015-03-30: Australian 2015 ACT Public Holiday April 27
• 2014-07-22: Australia Rules-Out Victorian Extra ANZAC 2015 Public Holiday
• 2010-11-18: Australian ANZAC Day Public Holiday Update
• 2010-11-13: Australian Bill To Revise NSW Public Holidays
• 2010-10-28: Australia Extends 5-day Easter Public Holidays
• 2010-10-19: Australia To Fully Harmonize ANZAC Public Holiday
• 2010-09-19: Australian ANZAC Public Holiday Being Reconsidered By Tasmania
• 2010-09-15: Australia To Declare Double Year-End Regional Public Holidays
• 2010-08-31: Australian NT Announces April 26 Public Holiday
• 2010-07-24: Norfolk Island 2011 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2010-07-14: Australian ACT Announces April 26 Public Holiday
• 2010-07-08: South Australia 5-Day Easter Public Holidays In 2011
• 2010-07-01: Western Australia Gazettes Upcoming Regional Public Holidays
• 2010-04-22: South Australia Announces 5-Day Easter Public Holiday In 2011
• 2010-02-21: Australian ANZAC Public Holiday Day In Lieu Update
• 2009-11-03: Australia's ATA CAlls For Uniform Nationwide Public Holidays
• 2009-10-18: Australian ANZAC Public Holiday Legislation Rejected By Tasmania
• 2009-09-04: Norfolk Island 2010 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2009-06-05: Australia ANZAC Day In Lieu Public Holiday Tasmanian Update
• 2009-05-31: Australia To Review NSW Public Holidays
• 2009-04-18: Australia ANZAC Day Public Holiday Update
• 2009-02-18: Australia April 27 NSW School Public Holiday
• 2009-01-26: Australia Refusing To Confirm December 28 NSW Day In Lieu
• 2009-01-08: Australia ANZAC Day Public Holiday Confirmed Fixed In NT And QLD
• 2008-12-16: Australia Row Over 2009 ANZAC Day Public Holiday
• 2008-10-07: Australia Extra ANZAC Public Holiday In 2010 And 2011
• 2008-10-03: Australia Moving Towards A Harmonization Of ANZAC Day Public Holiday