Source: EFE (Warsaw)
Poland's conservative party, the Law and Justice Party (PiS), led by the Kaczynski twins, has launched a campaign to have Poland's Parliament (the Sejm) make April 2, the date of Pope John-Paul II's death, a new annual public holiday.
This initiative is not expected to be fruitful, due to the current government's resistance to the addition of new public holidays, as witnessed recently (17-Oct-2008) when an initiative to restore the Epiphany public holiday (the only public holiday canceled during Soviet occupation and not since restored).
A one-off public holiday was declared in Poland, on Friday, April 5, 2009, following the Pope's death (05-Apr-2005).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Poland bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (April 2009)
Poland 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Poland 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Poland 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Poland 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Poland 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2009-10-10: Poland Votes New National Holiday
• 2009-09-08: Poland Legislature To Consider September 17 Public Holiday
• 2009-07-31: Poland Considering August 1st National Holiday
• 2008-10-17: Poland's Parliament Rejects Reinstatement Of Epiphany Public Holiday
• 2005-04-05: Poland Declares April 8 Public Holiday To Mourn Pope