Source: Caribbean Daily News (The Valley)
Anguilla's recently elected Chief Minister, Hubert Hughes, has announced that the birthday of James Ronald Webster, on March 2nd, would henceforth be a full-fledged public holiday in Anguilla.
The March 2nd birthday of James Ronald Webster was set to become a new public holiday, beginning in 2008, but a last-minute motion in the legislature downgraded it to a school holiday only (25-May-2007).
Chief Minister Hughes' party, the AUM (Anguilla United Movement) had berated the outgoing government for only offering a school holiday in honour of the man called the "Father of the Nation".
As an interesting aside, today is a public holiday in Anguilla, as one of the first steps taken by Chief Minister Designate Hubert Hughes after his election, was to declare a post-election public holiday (16-Feb-2010).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Anguilla bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (February 2010)
Anguilla 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Anguilla 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Anguilla 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Anguilla 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Anguilla 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2018-01-21: Anguilla 2018 Public Holidays Released
• 2017-01-20: Anguilla 2017 Public Holidays Released
• 2010-03-01: Anguilla Confirms March 2 Public Holiday
• 2010-02-16: Anguilla Declares Tomorrow A Public Holiday
• 2007-05-25: Anguilla New Public Holiday Downgraded To School Holiday