Source: Financiarul (Iasi)
At yesterday's celebrations of the 151st anniversary of the reunification of Wallachia and Moldavia, the President of Romania, Traian Basescu, went on record as supporting the addition of January 24 to the list of official public holidays in Romania.
The President's statements follow last year's introduction of a draft law (20-Jan-2009) by Romania's Social Democratic Party (PSD) that would create a new annual official public holiday, Ziua Micii Uniri, on January 24, the date when Wallachia and Moldavia were reunified in 1859.
Apparently, the President of Romania's Senate, Mircea Geoana, also went on record supporting the creation of a new public holiday on January 24, even though, two years ago, official public holidays were added for the 2 days of Pentecost (18-Mar-2008) and for the Assumption (09-Oct-2008).
• Romania bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (January 2010)
Romania 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Romania 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Romania 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Romania 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Romania 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2010-11-30: Romania January 24 Public Holiday Update
• 2010-09-22: Romania Rejects Roma Public Holiday
• 2009-01-20: Romania Considering January 24 Public Holiday
• 2008-10-09: Romania Adds August 15 Public Holiday
• 2008-03-18: Romania Adds 2 Days Of Pentecost As Public Holidays