Source: The Nova Scotia Legislature (Halifax)
A bill has been introduced, to the legislature of Canada's Province of Nova Scotia, which would create a new provincial non-working public holiday on the third Monday in February.
Apparently the new annual non-working public holiday would be named "Joseph Howe Day" and would be on the same date (and the same justification) as the Family Day public holiday long observed on the third Monday of February by the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan, and since 2008 by Ontario and Manitoba (11-Oct-2007 and 26-Sep-2007) and later by the Province of Prince Edward Island (24-Apr-2009).
Last year (06-Sep-2010), the Premier of Canada's Province of New Brunswick, Shawn Graham, had announced that his government, if re-elected, would declare a new annual provincial public holiday, Family Day, on the third Monday of February. Premier Graham was, however, not re-elected.
More recently (03-Feb-2011), Christy Clark, the front-runner for the leadership of the BC Liberal Party of Canada's Province of British Columbia, announced that she was in favor of adding a new annual February public holiday in British Columbia, if she becomes Premier.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Canada bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (April 2011)
Canada 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Canada 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Canada 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Canada 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Canada 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2014-06-28: Canada Names New NS Family Day Public Holiday
• 2013-12-06: Canada Adds NS Family Day Public Holiday
• 2011-02-03: Canada Could Extend Family Day Public Holiday
• 2010-09-06: Canada Family Day Public Holiday Could Be Extended
• 2009-04-24: Canada Amends Islander Day Public Holiday
• 2007-10-11: Canada's Family Day Public Holiday Will Extend To Ontario In 2008
• 2007-09-26: Canada: New Manitoba Public Holiday Confirmed And Baptized