Source: GMA News Online (Manila)
The Philippines government has announced that the upcoming Araw ng Kagitingan public holiday would be commemorated on a Saturday, April 9, 2011, as originally gazetted.
The aforementioned announcement was made on the Philippines' Official Gazette's Twitter account and refers to the official list of 2011 public holidays in the Philippines, as gazetted in Proclamation 84, signed by President Aquino at the end of last year (20-Dec-2010).
Republic Act 9492 which amends Section 26, Chapter 7, Book I of Executive Order No. 292 (also known as the Administrative Code), was signed into law (09-Aug-2007 and 25-Jul-2007), by then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo (PGMA). The Act made the so-called Holiday Economics, or the practice of shifting holiday observances, into official government policy, and mandated that most holidays, except those with religious significance, will be shifted to the nearest Monday, and codified the previous year's attempt (19-Jan-2007), to make the occurrence of public holidays more predictable.
Rumours had been rife about a possible change in the public holidays legislation of the Philippines, ever since president-elect, Benigno Aquino III, was quoted as being in favor of repealing the provisions of Republic Act 9492 as they pertain to the, June 12, Independence Day public holiday (14-Jun-2010).
After President Aquino's inauguration (08-Jul-2010), Philippines Presidential spokesman, Edwin Lacierda, issued a statement that the current holiday economics policy would remain in place for the moment, as the new government has "no official position" yet on the issue.
Since then, the moving (13-Aug-2010), or not (11-Aug-2010), of mid-week, fixed-date, public holidays has been done on a case-by-case basis, albeit after a period of uncertainty (12-Aug-2010).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Philippines bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (April 2011)
Philippines 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Philippines 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Philippines 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Philippines 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Philippines 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2013-04-23: Philippines Public Holiday May 13
• 2010-12-20: Philippines 2011 Public Holidays Announced
• 2010-08-13: Philippines Declare August 30 A Public Holiday
• 2010-08-12: Philippines Could Cancel August 30 Public Holiday
• 2010-08-11: Philippines Cancels August 23 Public Holiday
• 2010-07-08: Philippines Will Not Amend Public Holidays Laws
• 2010-06-14: Philippines President-Elect Could Change June 12 Public Holiday
• 2007-08-09: Philippines Tinkers With Recent Public Holidays Rationalization Law
• 2007-07-25: Philippines Public Holidays Undergo Major Changes
• 2007-01-19: Philippines Declares Four Additional Non-Working Public Holidays For 2007