Source: The Times of Malta (Valletta)
Malta's General Workers' Union (GWU) has once again called on whichever party wins the next elections to reverse the 2005 legislation that stopped the practice of declaring a Monday public holiday when a fixed-date public holiday fell on a weekend.
Before 2005, in Malta, a Monday public holiday was declared whenever a fixed-date public holiday fell on a weekend.
But then (03-Dec-2004 and 15-Jan-2005), the National Holidays and Other Public Holidays Act (Chapter 252 of the Laws of Malta) was amended, effective on January 1st, 2005, so that "with effect from 1st January, 2005 when a National Holiday or a Public Holiday listed in the Schedule falls on a Saturday or on a Sunday, it shall not be deemed to be a public holiday for the purposes of entitling any person to an additional day of vacation leave".
This legislation was contested repeatedly by the GWU (20-Sep-2005 and 27-Jan-2007), but to no avail (21-Oct-2007), despite a promise by the Malta Labour Party to restore day in lieu public holidays if elected in 2008, an election which they did not win (16-Dec-2007).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Malta bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (August 2012)
Malta 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Malta 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Malta 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Malta 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Malta 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2019-01-14: Malta 2019 Public Holidays Announced
• 2018-01-05: Malta 2018 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-12-31: Malta 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-01-09: Malta 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-01-07: Malta 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-03-07: Malta Midweek Public Holidays Bill
• 2014-01-10: Malta 2014 Public Holidays Announced
• 2007-12-16: Malta's MLP Would Restore Days In Lieu If Elected
• 2007-10-21: Malta Rules Out Return To Days In Lieu
• 2007-01-27: Malta Unions Ask For Return Of Day In Lieu Public Holiday
• 2005-09-20: Malta Public Holidays Amendments Challenged
• 2005-01-15: Malta Votes Public Holidays Amendment
• 2004-12-03: Malta Proceeds With Amendment to Legislation On Public Holidays