Source: The Namibian (Windhoek)
Namibia's Ministry of Information and Communication Technology has issued an "Urgent Media Announcement" which flatly denies the recent rumours about a possible non-working public holiday on Friday, May 18, 2012.
As per the aforementioned announcement, "The public is kindly informed that 18 May 2012 is a normal working day and civil servants and the entire workforce throughout the country must report for work as usual".
Namibia's President is allowed to declare any date as a one-off public holiday, as per Article 32 (5)(a) of the Namibian Constitution, but the Namibian government is in the habit of sternly remonstrating its population on the topic of public holidays rumours (13-Nov-2009, 16-Dec-2005 and 23-Aug-2000) or even then way they are enjoyed (01-May-2009).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Namibia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (May 2012)
Namibia 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Namibia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Namibia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Namibia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Namibia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2015-03-17: Namibian March 20 Public Holiday Ruled-Out
• 2009-11-13: Namibia Officially Rules Out Election Day Public Holiday
• 2009-05-01: Namibia Public Holidays Not For Enjoyment
• 2005-12-16: Namibia Clarifies 2005 Year-End Public Holidays
• 2000-08-23: Namibia Clarifies August 25 Status