Source: The Jakarta Post (ANTARA)
The Chief of Surakarta's Indonesia Ulema Council (MUI), Zainal Arifin Adnan, has issued a fatwa forbidding any Muslim from participating in any Chinese New Year festivities, but several Indonesian Muslim leaders have been distancing themselves from the position that Chinese New Year is haram (forbidden).
Despite its official status as Indonesia's top Muslim clerical body, the MUI (Majelis Ulama Indonesia) is really more of an umbrella group covering many diverse Muslim organizations that are far from being of one voice and one opinion, with the 2 main members of MUI, Muhammadiyah and Nahdlatul Ulama, regularly squabbling over the date of Muslim religious festival and holidays (16-Jul-2012, 20-Oct-2011, 10-Nov-2010, 12-Oct-2007, and 24-Oct-2006).
The Presidential Decision 19 (11-Apr-2002), issued by Indonesian President Megawati Soekarnoputri on April 9, 2002, finally (18-Feb-2002) made Chinese New Year (called Imlek in Indonesia) an official national public holiday, for the first time in Indonesia, after the previous year's declaration of Imlek as an official, albeit optional, public holiday (19-Jan-2001).
• Indonesia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (February 2013)
Indonesia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Indonesia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Indonesia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Indonesia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Indonesia 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2012-07-16: Indonesian Ramadan Confusion Again
• 2011-10-20: Indonesian Idul Adha Public Holiday Confusion Again
• 2010-11-10: Indonesia Announces Date Of Idul Adha Public Holiday
• 2007-10-12: Indonesia Cannot Agree On End Of Ramadan Date
• 2006-10-24: Indonesia Announces Aidilfitri Public Holiday Date
• 2002-04-11: Indonesia Makes Chinese New Year An Official Public Holiday
• 2002-02-18: Indonesia Promises Imlek Official Public Holiday Next Year
• 2001-01-19: Indonesia Declares Optional Public Holiday For Chinese New Year