Source: The Jakarta Post (ANTARA)
The Indonesian Coordinating Minister for People's Welfare, Agung Laksono, has confirmed that, as per Presidential Decree No. 24 of 2013, the government will add an additional annual non-working public holiday on May 1st, to mark Labor Day.
Last spring (01-May-2013), Indonesian President, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, had announced that the Indonesian government had finally decided to add May Day as a new annual non-working public holiday in Indonesia, beginning next year, with President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono going on to Tweet "Selaku Kepala Negara, saya mengucapkan Selamat Hari Buruh kpd para pekerja Indonesia. Semoga buruh semakin sejahtera." (As the Head of State, I say Happy Labor Day to all Indonesian workers. I hope all workers get better welfare).
A year ago (30-Apr-2012), Indonesia's Home Minister, Gamawan Fauzi, had announced that the Indonesian government was deliberating whether to add May 1st as a new annual non-working public holiday (Hari Libur Nasional) in Indonesia. A statement by the Manpower and Transmigration Minister, Muhaimin Iskandar, soon followed (26-May-2012), confirming that he had asked the President of Indonesia to declare May 1st as a new annual national holiday in Indonesia.
The annual non-working public holidays and joint days of leave (Hari Libur Nasional dan Cuti Bersama) for the upcoming calendar year are usually announced in the early summer (20-Jul-2012, 14-Jul-2011, 15-Jun-2010, 09-Aug-2009, 10-Jun-2008, and 31-May-2007), by the very same Minister of Manpower and Transmigration of today's announcement.
The idea of adding May 1st to the list of Indonesian non-working public holidays had already been discussed a few years ago (30-Apr-2009), but that nothing came of it back then.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Indonesia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (August 2013)
Indonesia 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Indonesia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Indonesia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Indonesia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Indonesia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-10-03: Indonesian 2018 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-05-31: Indonesia Adds June 1st Public Holiday
• 2016-05-26: Indonesia Mulls June 1st Public Holiday
• 2016-04-14: Indonesian 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-06-26: Indonesian 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-05-07: Indonesian 2015 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2013-08-23: Indonesian 2014 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2013-05-01: Indonesian May 1st Public Holiday Announced
• 2012-07-20: Indonesian 2013 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2012-05-26: Indonesian May 1st Public Holiday Gains Support
• 2012-04-30: Indonesia Considers May 1st Public Holiday
• 2011-07-14: Indonesia 2012 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2010-06-15: Indonesia 2011 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2009-08-09: Indonesia 2010 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2009-04-30: Indonesia May Day Public Holiday Update
• 2008-06-10: Indonesia 2009 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2007-05-31: Indonesia 2008 Public Holidays Gazetted