Source: Mauritanian News Agency (Noakchott)
Following yesterday's meeting of the Council of Ministers of Mauritania, the Ministre de la Fonction publique, du Travail et de la Modernisation de l'Administration, Seyedna Ali Ould Mohamed Khouna, announced that the weekly day of rest in Mauritania would be moved back from Friday to Sunday, with Saturday being an additional day of rest (jour de repos supplémentaire), effective as of October 1st, 2014.
This is the 5th time that Mauritania changes its definition of the weekend, since it gained independence in 1960.
In the 2 decades following its independence, Mauritania's week-ends were Saturday/Sunday. In 1983, president Mohamed Khouna Ould Haidalla then changed Mauritania's week-ends to Thursday/Friday.
In 2001 (14-Mar-2001), then Prime Minister, Sghaïr Ould Mbareck, changed Mauritania's week-ends to Friday/Saturday. In 2005, president Maaouya Ould Taya changed the week-end in Mauritania back to Saturday and Sunday (08-Mar-2005). In late 2007, a cabinet decision, once again changed the week-end back to Friday/Saturday (13-Dec-2007).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Mauritania bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (September 2014)
Mauritania 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Mauritania 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Mauritania 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Mauritania 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Mauritania 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-09-02: Mauritania Extends 2017 Aid El Adha Public Holidays
• 2016-12-30: Mauritania 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-12-28: Mauritania 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-12-23: Mauritania Public Holiday December 25
• 2014-12-31: Mauritania Public Holiday January 2
• 2014-12-29: Mauritania 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-10-03: Mauritania Eid al-Adha Public Holidays October 5-6
• 2007-12-13: Mauritania Reverts To Friday/Saturday Weekends
• 2005-03-08: Mauritania Changes Weekends To Saturday/Sunday
• 2001-03-14: Mauritania Changes Weekends To Friday/Saturday