Source: Malta Department of Information (Government of Malta)
Despite its assessment of the economy of Malta as "doing well" the government of Malta has submitted a draft budget for 2016 which still does not reinstate, as promised, the system of day in lieu non-working public holidays in Malta when a Maltese annual public holiday falls on a weekend.
Before 2005, in Malta, a Monday public holiday was declared whenever a fixed-date public holiday fell on a weekend. But, following a Nationalist victory at the polls in 2003, the National Holidays and Other Public Holidays Act (Chapter 252 of the Laws of Malta) was amended so that "with effect from 1st January, 2005 when a National Holiday or a Public Holiday listed in the Schedule falls on a Saturday or on a Sunday, it shall not be deemed to be a public holiday for the purposes of entitling any person to an additional day of vacation leave" (03-Dec-2004 and 15-Jan-2005).
The amended legislation was contested repeatedly by the GWU (20-Sep-2005 and 27-Jan-2007), but to no avail (21-Oct-2007), and a couple of years later (16-Dec-2007), sensing a easy vote-getter, Malta's Labour Party promised that, if elected in the next general elections, they would restore the pre-2005 practice of declaring a Monday public holiday when a fixed-date public holiday fell on a weekend.
However, despite the electoral victory of Malta's Labour Party at the last general elections (10-Mar-2013), none of the public holidays contained in the subsequent list of national holidays and non-working public holidays in Malta (07-Jan-2015 and 10-Jan-2014) were moved to a Monday.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Malta bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (October 2015)
Malta 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Malta 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Malta 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Malta 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Malta 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-10-08: Malta Day In Lieu Public Holidays Progress
• 2017-05-07: Malta Day In Lieu Public Holidays In Electoral Debate
• 2016-08-29: Malta Day In Lieu Public Holidays 2017 Update
• 2015-01-07: Malta 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-01-10: Malta 2014 Public Holidays Announced
• 2013-03-10: Malta In Lieu Public Holidays Bolstered By Election Results
• 2007-12-16: Malta's MLP Would Restore Days In Lieu If Elected
• 2007-10-21: Malta Rules Out Return To Days In Lieu
• 2007-01-27: Malta Unions Ask For Return Of Day In Lieu Public Holiday
• 2005-09-20: Malta Public Holidays Amendments Challenged
• 2005-01-15: Malta Votes Public Holidays Amendment
• 2004-12-03: Malta Proceeds With Amendment to Legislation On Public Holidays