Source: Agencia de Noticias del Ecuador y Sudamérica (ANDES)
Unsurprisingly, Ecuador's President, Rafael Correa, has signed into law the legislative changes to Ecuador's public holidays legislation, recently passed by Ecuador's legislature, and sent to the legislature by President Correa, a couple of months ago.
The aforementioned legislation (Suplemento Registro Oficial No.906) was approved by Ecuador's legislature, a couple of weeks ago (13-Dec-2016), and had first been mentioned by Ecuador's President, Rafael Correa, a couple of months ago (16-Oct-2016), during his weekly address to the nation (Enlace Ciudadano 496), when he mentioned that he had sent a bill to the Ecuadorean Asamblea Nacional to declare as a day in lieu non-working public holiday in Ecuador, the Friday before, or the Monday after, an annual non-working public holiday of Ecuador which falls on the weekend.
The legislation ("para que todos los años se tenga el mismo número de días de feriado y se puedan planificar las actividades") would thus amend the 2003 "Ley Orgánica de Servicio Civil y Carrera Administrativa y de Unificación y Homologación de las Remuneraciones del Sector Público" (04-Dec-2003), by virtue of which most Ecuadorean public holidays' day off are moved to the nearest weekend, and also applies to regional public holidays in Ecuador ("Si es un feriado local, se hace lo mismo, se cambia a lunes, se hace un puente").
The immediate effect of the aforementioned change in the public holidays legislation of Ecuador is that Monday, December 26, 2016, and Monday, January 2, 2017, are public holidays in Ecuador (President Correa had already addressed the issue of December 26 in an earlier decree, last week).
• Ecuador bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (December 2016)
Ecuador 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Ecuador 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Ecuador 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Ecuador 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Ecuador 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2019-04-25: Ecuador Declares May 1st Public Holiday
• 2019-04-21: Ecuador Labour Day Public Holiday May 3
• 2018-11-30: Ecuador Amends December 2018 Public Holidays
• 2018-11-02: Ecuador 2019 Public Holidays Confusion
• 2018-10-17: Ecuador Public Holidays November 1-4
• 2018-09-27: Ecuador Public Holidays October 6-7-8
• 2018-04-26: Ecuador Public Holidays April 30 and May 1st
• 2017-11-30: Ecuador Public Holiday Moved To December 6
• 2016-12-13: Ecuador Legislature Approves Public Holidays Changes
• 2016-10-16: Ecuador Mulls Public Holidays Legislative Changes
• 2003-12-04: Ecuador Ratifies Change In Public Holidays Law