Source: Saudi Press Agency (SPA)
A spokesman for Saudi Arabia's Civil Service Ministry has announced that there would be a one-off day in lieu non-working public holiday in Saudi Arabia on Thursday, July 22, 2016, to compensate for the Saudi Kingdom's National Day annual non-working public holiday of September 23, falling during the Saudi weekend in 2016.
The aforementioned spokesman for Saudi Arabia's Civil Service Ministry did go on to state that "according to the regulations, if National Day falls on a weekend – Friday or Saturday – it is compensated for with a public holiday on either the preceding Thursday or following Sunday" as was the case in recent years (16-Sep-2013, 16-Sep-2012, 14-Sep-2011, 18-Sep-2007 and 19-Sep-2006).
Three years ago (22-Apr-2013), Saudi Arabia's legislative and consultative Shoura Council recently approved Saudi Arabia switching its weekend to Friday-Saturday from the previous Thursday-Friday.
• Saudi Arabia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (September 2016)
Saudi Arabia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Saudi Arabia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Saudi Arabia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Saudi Arabia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
Saudi Arabia 2023 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2013-09-16: Saudi Arabia Public Holiday September 22
• 2013-04-22: Saudi Arabian Weekend Change Progresses
• 2012-09-16: Saudi Arabia Public Holiday September 22
• 2011-09-14: Saudi Arabian National Day Public Holiday Extended
• 2007-09-18: Saudi Arabia Denies September 22 Public Holiday Rumour
• 2006-09-19: Saudi Arabia Declares September 23 Natiowide Public Holiday