Source: Czech News Agency (CTK Praha)
The Czech Lower House has approved a long-standing bill that would add Good Friday to the official list of annual non-working public holidays in the Czech Republic.
Almost a decade ago (03-Nov-2006), the Czech Senate had voted a bill that would have declared Good Friday an official non-working public holiday in the Czech Republic, but in the following years the consideration of this bill had systematically been postponed by the Czech Lower House (08-Apr-2010 and 07-Feb-2007).
Then, last summer (22-Jun-2015), out of the blue, that long-stalled bill that would declare Good Friday as a new annual non-working public holiday in the Czech Republic, gained new momentum following its endorsement by Czech parliamentarians from almost all parties, including Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka and his Finance Minister.
The aforementioned bill, will now go to the Senate for approval, and if approved, will need to be signed by the president of the Czech Republic, Milos Zeman.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Czech Republic bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (October 2015)
Czech Republic 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Czech Republic 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Czech Republic 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Czech Republic 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Czech Republic 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-01-08: Hungary 2017 Public Holidays Amended
• 2016-11-20: Hungary Good Friday Public Holiday Legislation
• 2016-11-19: Czech Republic 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-10-16: Hungary 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-01-07: Czech Republic 2016 Public Holidays Amended
• 2015-12-03: Czech Senate Approves Good Friday Public Holiday
• 2015-11-05: Czech Republic 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-06-22: Czech Republic Good Friday Public Holiday Progress
• 2010-04-08: Czech Republic Good Friday Public Holiday Update
• 2007-02-07: Czech Good Friday Public Holiday Stalled
• 2006-11-03: Czech Senate Votes Good Friday Public Holiday