Source: ACT Government Chief Minister and Treasury Directorate (Canberra)
The Government of the ACT (Australia's Capital Territory) has launched public consultations on the possibility of declaring a new annual non-working public holiday in the ACT, beginning in 2017, and which would replace one of the current annual non-working public holidays of Australia's ACT; either Family and Community Day, in September, or the "Queen's Birthday", non-working public holiday of Australia's ACT in June.
The aforementioned new annual non-working public holiday in the ACT, beginning in 2017, replacing either the Family and Community Day or the "Queen's Birthday", non-working public holidays of Australia's ACT, would tentatively be called "Reconciliation Day", and would celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1967 referendum whose result led to amendments to the Australian constitution to include Aboriginal people in the census and make them subject to Commonwealth law.
According to local media sources, this annual non-working public holiday in the ACT, would occur on a date differing from that of the public holiday it replaced, possibly the first Monday after May 27, the anniversary date of the 1967 referendum.
If the aforementioned "Reconciliation Day" public holidays amendments came to pass, then it would revise the previously-announced list of 2017 public holidays in Australia's ACT (07-Dec-2015).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Australia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (June 2016)
Australia 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Australia 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Australia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-09-13: Australia ACT Public Holidays Amended
• 2017-08-17: Australia Mulls Further 2018 ACT Public Holidays Amendments
• 2017-08-06: Australia Mulls NSW Aboriginal Public Holiday
• 2017-02-05: Australia 2018-2019 ACT Public Holidays Announced
• 2017-01-27: Australia Rules-Out Tasmania Aboriginal Public Holiday
• 2016-08-28: Australian ACT Reconciliation Day Public Holiday In 2018
• 2015-12-07: Australia 2017 ACT Public Holidays Announced