Source: Kormányzat Nemzetgazdasági Minisztérium (Budapest)
The Government of Hungary, upon the recommendation of the Hungarian National Economy Minister, has confirmed that there would be no expanded version of its annual list of official non-working public holidays in Hungary for the calendar year 2017, due to the fact that there are no "orphan" Hungarian public holidays on Tuesday or Thursday in the upcoming calendar year 2017.
In past years (30-Jun-2015, 30-Apr-2015, 25-Jul-2014, 28-Sep-2013, 22-Nov-2012, 07-Sep-2012, 15-Oct-2011, 21-Nov-2010, 29-Sep-2009, 22-Jul-2008, 20-Nov-2007, and 12-Sep-2006), the Government of Hungary, upon the recommendation of the Hungarian National Economy Minister, would announce a list of bridge, and other one-off, public holidays for the upcoming calendar year, along with the list of Saturdays that were to be regular working days, in compensation. These applied to both the private and public sectors ("E rendelet hatálya kiterjed minden munkáltatóra és az általuk foglalkoztatottakra").
However, and this is possibly the reason why this year's final announcement of the list of official non-working public holidays in Hungary for the calendar year 2017 was so late, speaking at the commemorative session of the Hungarian Reformed Church Synod recently, Hungarian Prime Minister, Viktor Orbán, announced that beginning in 2017, Good Friday would be a new annual non-working public holiday in Hungary, and this was confirmed by an official press release of the Prime Minister's page on the Government of Hungary website.
Recall that, after years of discussions on the matter (22-Jun-2015, 24-Oct-2015, 08-Apr-2010, 07-Feb-2007 and 03-Nov-2006), neighboring Czech Republic finally declared Good Friday as a new annual public holiday in the Czech Republic beginning in 2016 (03-Dec-2015).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Hungary bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (October 2016)
Hungary 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Hungary 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Hungary 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Hungary 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Hungary 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-01-08: Hungary 2017 Public Holidays Amended
• 2016-11-20: Hungary Good Friday Public Holiday Legislation
• 2015-12-03: Czech Senate Approves Good Friday Public Holiday
• 2015-10-24: Czech Republic Good Friday Public Holiday Almost There
• 2015-06-30: Hungary 2016 Public Holidays Finalized
• 2015-06-22: Czech Republic Good Friday Public Holiday Progress
• 2015-04-30: Hungary 2016 Public Holidays Draft
• 2014-07-25: Hungary 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2013-09-28: Hungary 2014 Public Holidays Announced
• 2012-11-22: Hungary 2013 Public Holidays Official
• 2012-09-07: Hungary 2013 Public Holidays Draft
• 2011-10-15: Hungary 2012 Public Holidays Confirmed
• 2010-11-21: Hungary 2011 Public Holidays Announced
• 2010-04-08: Czech Republic Good Friday Public Holiday Update
• 2009-09-29: Hungary 2010 Public Holidays Announced
• 2008-07-22: Hungary 2009 Public Holidays Announced
• 2007-11-20: Hungary 2008 Public Holidays Announced
• 2007-02-07: Czech Good Friday Public Holiday Stalled
• 2006-11-03: Czech Senate Votes Good Friday Public Holiday
• 2006-09-12: Hungary 2007 Public Holidays Announced