Source: Kormányzat Nemzetgazdasági Minisztérium (Budapest)
The Hungarian Deputy Prime Minister, Zsolt Semjén, jointly with Hungary's Human Resources Minister, Zoltán Balog, and the Hungarian Economy Minister, Mihály Varga, have entered legislation to amend the current annual non-working public holidays in Hungary legislation, and add Good Friday to the list of annual non-working public holidays in Hungary.
Today's legislative proposal follows from an announcement by Hungarian Prime Minister, Viktor Orbán, speaking a few weeks ago (16-Oct-2016) at the commemorative session of the Hungarian Reformed Church Synod, that beginning in 2017, Good Friday would be a new annual non-working public holiday in Hungary, an announcement later confirmed by an official press release of the Prime Minister's page on the Government of Hungary website.
After years of discussions on the matter (22-Jun-2015, 24-Oct-2015, 08-Apr-2010, 07-Feb-2007 and 03-Nov-2006), neighboring Czech Republic finally declared Good Friday as a new annual public holiday in the Czech Republic beginning in 2016 (19-Nov-2016 and 03-Dec-2015).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Hungary bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (November 2016)
Hungary 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Hungary 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Hungary 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Hungary 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Hungary 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-12-11: Romania Mulls Good Friday Public Holiday
• 2017-04-07: Hungary 2018 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-11-19: Czech Republic 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-10-16: Hungary 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-12-03: Czech Senate Approves Good Friday Public Holiday
• 2015-10-24: Czech Republic Good Friday Public Holiday Almost There
• 2015-06-22: Czech Republic Good Friday Public Holiday Progress
• 2010-04-08: Czech Republic Good Friday Public Holiday Update
• 2007-02-07: Czech Good Friday Public Holiday Stalled
• 2006-11-03: Czech Senate Votes Good Friday Public Holiday