Source: Situs Resmi Kementerian Koordinator Bidang Kesejahteraan Rakyat (Jakarta)
The government of Indonesia has issued its final annual decree ("Surat Keputusan Bersama (SKB) Hari Libur Nasional dan Cuti Bersama Tahun 2017") designating the list of Indonesian public holidays and collective leave days ("cuti bersama") for the calendar year 2017, for both the private and public sectors.
For 2017, as was the case for the past 3 years (26-Jun-2015, 07-May-2014, 24-Oct-2014, 22-Feb-2015 and 23-Aug-2013), the aforementioned decree from the Ministry of Religious Affairs, the Indonesian Ministry of Manpower and Transmigration, and the Ministry of Administrative Reform, designates only 4 additional days of joint leave (Cuti Bersama), contrary to what was done the 2 preceding years (20-Jul-2012 and 14-Jul-2011), when there were 5.
The Cuti Bersama were introduced after the 2002 Bali bombings (07-Nov-2002) to promote internal tourism as a means to compensate diminishing foreign tourism. The number of these additional public holidays rose from 3 in 2002 to 6 in 2008 (31-May-2007), but then later in 2008, the number of these was sharply reduced (05-Feb-2008), while subsequent years' announcements (15-Jun-2010, 14-Jul-2011 and 01-Feb-2012 ) brought the total of Cuti Bersama close to the pre-2008 counts.
Work on the list national non-working public holidays in Indonesia in 2017, was begun a couple of months ago (22-Feb-2016), and will include the recent addition of May 1st as an annual non-working public holiday in Indonesia (14-Aug-2013), as per Presidential Decree No. 24 of 2013, and we can expect a parallel list of the official bank holidays in Indonaesia to be announced in the coming months (10-Jan-2016).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Indonesia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (April 2016)
Indonesia 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Indonesia 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Indonesia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Indonesia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Indonesia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2016-12-19: Indonesian 2017 Public Holidays Amendments Gazetted
• 2016-11-29: Indonesian 2017 Public Holidays Amended
• 2016-05-31: Indonesia Adds June 1st Public Holiday
• 2016-02-22: Indonesia Prepares 2017 Public Holidays
• 2016-01-10: Indonesian 2016 Bank Holidays Announced
• 2015-06-26: Indonesian 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-02-22: Indonesian 2015 Public Holidays Amended Again
• 2014-10-24: Indonesian 2015 Public Holidays Amended
• 2014-05-07: Indonesian 2015 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2013-08-23: Indonesian 2014 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2013-08-14: Indonesian May 1st Public Holiday Confirmed
• 2012-07-20: Indonesian 2013 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2012-02-01: Indonesian 2012 Public Holidays Amended
• 2011-07-14: Indonesia 2012 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2010-06-15: Indonesia 2011 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2008-02-05: Indonesia Cancels 3 Upcoming Bridge Public Holidays
• 2007-05-31: Indonesia 2008 Public Holidays Gazetted
• 2002-11-07: Indonesia 2002 Public Holidays Amended