Source: ACT Government Chief Minister and Treasury Directorate (Canberra)
The Indigenous Affairs Minister of Australia's Capital Territory (ACT), Rachel Stephen-Smith, has introduced legislation to further amend the annual list of official non-working public holidays observed in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) of Australia, by replacing the ACT's September Family and Community Day annual public holiday, with a new Reconciliation Day annual public holiday in Australia's Capital Territory in May.
The aforementioned legislation stems from discussions begun last summer (28-Aug-2016) of a new annual non-working public holiday in the ACT, to replace either the Family and Community Day or the "Queen's Birthday", tentatively called "Reconciliation Day", to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1967 referendum whose result led to amendments to the Australian constitution to include Aboriginal people in the census and make them subject to Commonwealth law (28-Aug-2016 and 08-Jun-2016).
The declaration of an aboriginal public holiday has also been considered by the Australian states of Tasmania (27-Jan-2017) and New South Wales (06-Aug-2017).
The Family and Community Day public holiday (30-Jul-2007) was introduced a decade ago (03-Nov-2008, 30-Jul-2007 and 05-Apr-2007) to coincide with the November Melbourne Cup, after the traditional Union Picnic Day was axed under the previous federal government's WorkChoices laws, and it was later moved to the first week of the September/October school holidays (16-Oct-2009).
The current list of official non-working public holidays observed in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) of Australia for the year 2018 was announced (05-Feb-2017) and rapidly amended (28-Feb-2017) earlier this year. Were this legislation to become law, this year's Family and Community Day public holidays, on September 25, would be the last such public holiday, and a new public holiday would be observed next year on May 28.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Australia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (August 2017)
Australia 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Australia 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Australia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-09-13: Australia ACT Public Holidays Amended
• 2017-08-06: Australia Mulls NSW Aboriginal Public Holiday
• 2017-02-28: Australia 2018 ACT Public Holidays Amended
• 2017-02-05: Australia 2018-2019 ACT Public Holidays Announced
• 2017-01-27: Australia Rules-Out Tasmania Aboriginal Public Holiday
• 2016-08-28: Australian ACT Reconciliation Day Public Holiday In 2018
• 2016-06-08: Australian ACT Mulls Public Holidays Changes
• 2009-10-16: Australia Tables ACT Public Holiday Change Bill
• 2008-11-03: Australia's ACT Reconsidering Melbourne Cup Public Holiday For 2009
• 2007-07-30: Australia's ACT Ready To Declare New November Public Holiday
• 2007-04-05: Australia's ACT Confirms New November Public Holiday