Source: Kormányzat Nemzetgazdasági Minisztérium (Budapest)
Hungary's Parliament approved, by a margin of 163 to 34, with 2 abstentions, the ruling Fidesz Alliance bill to make Good Friday a new annual non-working public holiday in Hungary, beginning on April 14, 2017.
Speaking at the commemorative session of the Hungarian Reformed Church Synod last October (16-Oct-2016), Hungarian Prime Minister, Viktor Orbán, had announced that beginning in 2017, Good Friday would be a new annual non-working public holiday in Hungary, an announcement soon confirmed by an official press release of the Prime Minister's page on the Government of Hungary website, and early this year (08-Jan-2017), the Government of Hungary even jumped the gun and released an updated list of non-working Hungarian public holidays for the calendar year 2017, which included a non-working public holiday in Hungary for Good Friday. However, during February, political infighting among the ruling Fidesz Alliance, delayed the passage of the Good Friday public holiday bill.
As an aside, after years of discussions on the matter (22-Jun-2015, 24-Oct-2015, 08-Apr-2010, 07-Feb-2007 and 03-Nov-2006), neighboring Czech Republic finally declared Good Friday as a new annual public holiday in the Czech Republic beginning in 2016 (03-Dec-2015).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Hungary bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (March 2017)
Hungary 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Hungary 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Hungary 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Hungary 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Hungary 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-04-07: Hungary 2018 Public Holidays Announced
• 2017-01-08: Hungary 2017 Public Holidays Amended
• 2016-10-16: Hungary 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-12-03: Czech Senate Approves Good Friday Public Holiday
• 2015-10-24: Czech Republic Good Friday Public Holiday Almost There
• 2015-06-22: Czech Republic Good Friday Public Holiday Progress
• 2010-04-08: Czech Republic Good Friday Public Holiday Update
• 2007-02-07: Czech Good Friday Public Holiday Stalled
• 2006-11-03: Czech Senate Votes Good Friday Public Holiday