Source: Última Instância (Rio de Janeiro)
Another public holiday in Brazil's Rio de Janeiro State has been declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, which agreed with the Adin (Ação Direta de Inconstitucionalidade) 4091 that the state's declaration of a public holiday on November 20 was unconstitutional.
This follows an earlier ruling by the supreme court, declaring the State public holiday on Carnival Tuesday, unconstitutional (22-Jan-2009).
There may, however be hope, as far as the November 20 public holiday (Dia Nacional da Consciência Negra) is concerned, as a bill was recently passed at the federal level which would make that date an official national public holiday (02-Dec-2008).
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Brazil bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (January 2009)
Brazil 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Brazil 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Brazil 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Brazil 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Brazil 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-12-12: Brazil Black Consciousness Day Public Holiday Update
• 2015-07-06: Brazil Zumbi Public Holiday Update
• 2009-03-22: Brazilian MP To Fight For Restoration Of Saint George State Public Holiday
• 2009-01-22: Brazil Carnival Tuesday State Public Holiday Declared Illegal
• 2008-12-02: Brazil Sends November 20 Public Holiday Bill To The Senate