Source: Kuwait Al Youm (Kuwait Gazette)
The long-awaited new Labour Law was gazetted yesterday in the official Kuwait Gazette, finally giving the private sector of Kuwait (almost) as many public holidays as the public sector.
The new labour law, the "State of Kuwait New Private Sector Labour Law No.6 Of 2010", introduced early last year (03-Feb-2009), was delayed a few times (18-Feb-2009), but finally adopted, in a modified form, by the Kuwaiti National Assembly at the end of last year (25-Dec-2009).
The new Labour Law increases the number of public holidays for the private sector from eight, currently, to thirteen. These public holidays will now include three days for Eid Al-Fitr, three days for Eid Al-Adha, as well as the February 26, Liberation Day, public holiday, heretofore a public sector only holiday.
Apparently, the new law only applies to annually recurring public holidays, meaning that the Kuwaiti public sector will continue to benefit from the frequently-declared, one-off, public holidays that are usually reserved for the public sector (10-Sep-2009 and 10-Feb-2009).
In particular, the recently-declared, March 1st, public holiday (15-Feb-2010), seems to be destined to remain limited to the public sector and to financial institutions.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Kuwait bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (February 2010)
Kuwait 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Kuwait 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Kuwait 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Kuwait 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Kuwait 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-07-16: Kuwait New Labour Law Takes Effect
• 2015-02-19: Kuwait Public Holidays February 25-26
• 2014-02-20: Kuwait Extra Public Holiday February 27
• 2013-02-16: Kuwait Extra Public Holiday February 24
• 2013-02-13: UAE Mulling Public Holidays Reform
• 2012-02-16: Kuwait Extra Public Holiday February 27
• 2010-06-29: Kuwait Declares July 11 Public Holiday
• 2010-02-15: Kuwait Declares 5-Day Public Holidays From February 25
• 2009-12-25: Kuwait Approves New Labour Law
• 2009-09-10: Kuwait Considering 8-Day Eid Public Holidays
• 2009-02-18: Kuwait Labour Law Amendments To Reach Assembly By March 3
• 2009-02-10: Kuwait Confirms National Day Public Sector Holidays
• 2009-02-03: Kuwait Revises Private Sector Labor Law