Source: The Australian (Adelaide)
South Australian Independent MP, Geoff Brock, has decided to support the minority State Government in its refusal to move the annual Adelaide Cup Public Holiday, back to May, thus ending the hopes of returning the Adelaide Cup Day public holiday to May, for the foreseeable future.
In 2006, the Adelaide Cup Day public holiday was shifted from its traditional May venue to the second Monday in March (13-Jul-2005), following the Adelaide Cup having been rained out for the second year in a row (21-May-2004).
This change was made formal the following year (31-Aug-2006), as per the "Holidays (Adelaide Cup) Proclamation 2006" (published in the Gazette on 31 August 2006 at page 3062), by which Monday, March 12, 2007, was declared to be a public holiday and bank holiday instead of Monday, May 21, 2007, a change which was to be reviewed annually, but which was not seriously challenged (15-Jul-2010, 24-Jan-2011, and 14-Mar-2011) until recently.
A later public holidays review commissioned by South Australian Premier, Jay Weatherill, came back with recommendations that South Australian public holidays be changed to reduce the crowding of events in March (13-Sep-2012 and 23-Jul-2012). These recommended changes to the current Holidays Act 1910 (SA) would have moved South Australia's Queen's Birthday public holiday from June to May, so that the annual Adelaide Cup could be run on a public holiday. The current Adelaide Cup public holiday in March would then be renamed as the Adelaide Festivals Day public holiday and remain in March.
Nonetheless, the South Australian government decided (13-Feb-2013) to ignore the recommendation of the commission it had set-up, and Industrial Relations Minister of the Australian State of South Australia, John Rau, announced that, despite lobbying by the South Australian Jockey Club, the second Monday of March non-working public holiday (often referred to as Adelaide Cup Day) will remain in March until 2015, at least.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Australia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (March 2014)
Australia 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Australia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Australia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2018-01-07: South Australian 2020 Public Holidays Released
• 2017-01-11: South Australian 2019 Public Holidays Released
• 2016-01-09: South Australian 2018 Public Holidays Released
• 2015-12-31: South Australia Adelaide Cup Public Holiday Update
• 2015-09-08: South Australia March Public Holiday Maintained Until 2019
• 2015-01-12: South Australian 2017 Public Holidays Released
• 2013-02-13: South Australia March Public Holiday Maintained Until 2015
• 2012-09-13: South Australian Public Holidays Amendments Update
• 2012-07-23: South Australian Public Holidays Amendments
• 2011-03-14: Australia Adelaide Cup Public Holiday Will Remain In March
• 2011-01-24: Australia Rejects Adelaide Cup Public Holiday Change
• 2010-07-15: Australia Keeps Adelaide Cup Public Holiday In March
• 2006-08-31: Australia Gazettes Adelaide Cup Public Holiday Change
• 2005-07-13: Australia Adelaide Cup Public Holiday Date Change
• 2004-05-21: Australia To Consider Changing Adelaide Cup Day Public Holiday Date