Source: Ministerio de Trabajo República Dominicana (Santo Domingo)
The Dominican Republic National Assembly is currently examining yet another bill that would remove the annual January 6 non-working public holiday in the Dominican Republic from the scope of the law No.139-97 which moves some mid-week public holidays in the Dominican Republic ("proyecto que modifica los artículos 2 y 4 de la Ley 139-97, para excluir el seis de enero, Día de los Santos Reyes, del ámbito de los feriados sujetos a traslados").
A couple of years ago (02-May-2014) the Dominican Republic Senate approved a bill, similar to an earlier one passed by the Lower House of Parliament of the Dominican Republic, which would have removed the January 6 and 26 annual non-working public holidays from the scope of the law 139-97 which regulates non-working public holidays in the Dominican Republic (19-Jun-1997).
After a few months of legislative inaction, the Dominican Republic National Assembly voted the emergency, and unanimous, passage of the iniciativa No.04467-2010-2016-CD ("Proyecto de ley mediante el cual se modifican los artículos 2 y 4 de la Ley No.139-97, del 19 de junio del 1997"), thus making the past spring's Senate bill an almost sure thing.
Nevertheless, the annual official listing of non-working public holidays in the Dominican Republic for the calendar year 2015 (31-Oct-2014), had the January 6 public holiday moved to January 5, as did the official listing of non-working public holidays in the Dominican Republic for the calendar year 2016 (31-Oct-2015), which had the January 6 public holiday moved to January 4.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Dominican Republic bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (October 2016)
Dominican Republic 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Dominican Republic 2019 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Dominican Republic 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Dominican Republic 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
Dominican Republic 2022 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-11-14: Dominican Republic 2018 Public Holidays Announced
• 2017-08-02: Dominican Republic Mulls Mid-Week Public Holidays Repeal
• 2016-11-06: Dominican Republic 2017 Public Holidays Announced
• 2015-10-31: Dominican Republic 2016 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-10-31: Dominican Republic 2015 Public Holidays Announced
• 2014-05-02: Dominican Republic Senate Amends Public Holidays
• 1997-06-19: Dominican Republic Implements Movable Public Holidays