Source: Department of Justice and Attorney-General (State of Queensland)
Yesterday, the Parliament of Australia's state of Queensland passed an amendment to the Queensland Holidays Act 1983, making Easter Sunday a new annual non-working public holiday in Australia's state of Queensland, beginning in 2017, as had been promised by the Palaszczuk.
Easter Sunday, observed throughout Australia as a regular Sunday, just 10 years ago, has steadily been declared as a non-working public holiday in various Australian states over the past few years.
First out of the gate (13-Oct-2010), was New South Wales (NSW), whose Premier, Kristina Keneally, announced that NSW would become the first jurisdiction in Australia to recognize Easter Sunday as a public holiday, effective in 2011.
Then, last year, Australia's State of Victoria (17-Aug-2015) and the ACT, Australia's Capital Territory (22-Aug-2015), both declared Easter Sunday as a new annual non-working public holiday in their respective states/territories.
Finally, last summer (31-Aug-2016), the Palaszczuk Government of Australia's state of Queensland announced that it was moving to make Easter Sunday a new annual non-working public holiday in Australia's state of Queensland, beginning in 2017.
Related links and worldwide public holidays news updates:
• Australia bank holidays and public holidays (news and updates)
bank holidays and public holidays news updates (December 2016)
Australia 2017 bank holidays and public holidays (current year)
Australia 2018 bank holidays and public holidays (next year)
Australia 2019 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2020 bank holidays and public holidays
Australia 2021 bank holidays and public holidays
• 2017-01-01: Australian 2018 Queensland Public Holidays Announced
• 2016-12-18: Australian 2017 Queensland Public Holidays Amended
• 2016-08-31: Australia Extends Queensland Easter Public Holidays
• 2015-08-22: Australia 2016 ACT Public Holidays Amended
• 2015-08-17: Australian Victoria Confirms New Public Holidays
• 2010-10-13: Australia Declares Easter Regional Public Holiday